James Mark Chan
322 Gateway Ct; Fullerton
(714) 782-0083 work + (213) 422-7013 cel
SUMMARY of SKILLS and COMPETENCIES
PM and Collaboration: Strong team player, good with multitasking many
priorities, effective communicator, proactive risk management and project
scheduling. MS Project.
Experienced Java Programmer with solid IT background. Specialties include GUI, Database,
and Web Service development with JAX-WS, WCF, Glassfish JMS, SWT, JDBC, Eclipse RCP. Also: C, C++, C#, Fluent in with object
oriented design and application development (OOA/OOD). Experienced in CM usage
with with Subversion, Subclipse,
tortoise. Famailir with NetBeans, Visual Studio, Eclipse, apache ANT built tool. DHTML,
Database and Information Systems: ODBC, JDBC, MySQL, MS SQL Server, MS Access,
background in relational modeling, normalization, multidimensional database
concepts. Installation of Oracle 11g as a backend to ESRI’s Spatial GIS server.
JBOSS, tomcat, MS IIS5.0, apache, Dell Open Manage ITA, nagios
Networking and Network Management: Fluent at network programming and network centric
concepts, TCP/IP, OSI Layers, SNMP, DiffServ, Cisco Multicast, Configuring VLAN/trunking
on Cisco switches, 802.11a/b/g Wireless, routing, firewalls, proxys and
Backup and Imaging: Veritas Backup Exec, NetBackup, Symentec Ghost, Altaris, MS Backup
OS and Virtual Machines: Win 2003/XP/Vista/7, RHEL 3/4/5, Fedora 4/11, CentOS,
Ubuntu 8/9, VMware, Virtual Box.
Boeing Technologies: JTRS Surrogate Radios (JSR), BattleScape, Total Domain, SOSCOE Comms,
JEBC2, WMI, EVE, SNS, MILS PC, TNMF and JSR Network Manager
Boeing Anaheim – Advanced
Software Systems Engineer Java GUI,
Database and Web Service Developer 2009
Aug – Present
- Provide service based architecture analysis and
design for next generation development of primary product line.
- Developed various socket based utilities to
support analysis of test device command sequences.
- Deployed and trained team on Subversion as cross
platform source control solution replacement for IBM’s legacy Continuus CM tool.
- Developed JAX-WS and WCF (.net) based services as
a loosely coupled system controller on glassfish
- Developed C++ utility to load configuration files
into Sybase database.
- Developed Swing Based UI to interface with serial
and USB devices.
- Developed native java library for VXI11.2 using
Sun Remote Tea to interface with Anritsu Spectrum Master and Bit Master
Test Equipment (Eye Pattern Analyzer) using SCPI commands.
- Developed Database GUI Application to automate
test and verification w/ SWT/Jfaces/MySQL.
Boeing Advanced Network and
Software Systems Engineer / Java
Developer / Network Management 2008
April – 2009 Aug
- Trade study and development of Twisted Pair
Solutions WAVE management server interface for TNMF framework.
- Designed and tested configuration for TNMF
security architecture using Boeing Secure Network Server Product, using
Trunked VLANs over Cisco switches.
- Tested performance of WAVE VOIP systems over JTRS
Surrogate Radios with Diffserv
- Developed Eclipse RCP based SNS Audit server
module for early TNMF prototype
- Presented network management demonstrations for
NDC grand opening
- Coordinated CJMTK (ESRI GIS tookit) and various
CADRG support for JWNM program
- Configured production subversion/trac CM tool with
automated backup to Seal
Beach Data Center
- Configured production fault monitoring status
reporting tool for NDC server farm using Dell ITA
- Promoted use of wiki as living documentation for
collaboration amongst teammates and as primary configuration for network
management and general network design center test bed.
- Design and implementation of CES/NM test bed
infrastructure for x86 and VM platforms
- JENM proposal software licensing and bid and
- Aligned IT support personnel with network
development center needs
Boeing Analysis Modeling
Simulation and Experimentation
Demonstration Systems Project Manager 2005
July – 2008 April
- Technical Lead for Mobile ad-hoc network
simulation using BNCS demo system and results from classified
experimentation that took place in the Boeing Virtual Warfare center in St. Louis.
- Analysis and development of requirements for BNCS
network traffic routing and loading visualization capability.
- Revised Demo Deployment Framework and
Architecture Process for Virtual Operations Organization.
- Migrated EVE Linux based simulator from legacy
IRIX based system, consolidated video stream systems, cinematic servers
and backup rack systems into single rack enclosure.
- Fluid understanding of network centric concepts
- Experience with simulations architectures
involving multiple entity simulators (OTB, IWARS, EVE, VTAB, JCATS, HIFEN)
Boeing Integration Center
Software Simulation Engineer – Demo
Integration Team 2005
July – 2006 Dec
- Multisite Team Lead for Simulation Requirements
Process for the Virtual Operations.
- Integration focal for Combat Systems Capability
- Structured the PC Stealth Project to leverage
modeling components from Combat Systems capability demo and collaborated
with Multigen Paradigm 3D visualization experts and MAK Technologies to
enhance infantry orientation in flat earth database representation.
- Exposure and experience to a wide variety of
Audio Video technologies.
- Responsible for operational integration of Army
System Demo into BIC West and BIC East.
- Integrated VTAB simulator with the LCS
Demonstration using DMSD Gateway.
- Project Coordinator for video stream viewing
portal event for the Network Enabled Operations (NEO) Demonstration. NEO
was an inter company collaboration between Raytheon, Lockheed, Boeing, and
CSC to demo a jointly developed system to the FAA.
- Designed Procured and Built IP Video Stream
Capture Rack for NEO Demo which replicated BIC East configuration at BIC
- Established JEBC2 test bed developer level interface
access for BIC West.
Loadmaster Software for Boeing
Systems Engineer/Lead Software Developer 2004
Jan – 2005 June
Produced Radio Frequency
Identification (RFID) Logistics software used to collect RFID and container
data in overseas supply chains for the US government project Operation
Safe Commerce. This software was eventually incorporated as the RFID extension
of the Boeing Multimodal Security system. Primary Interfaces: JSP/Servlet (user
interface), MySQL (Network
basic sockets to Container Security Unit (CSU) Bridge Component.
- Project management, resource plan and coordination
for a four person development team
- Developed high level business requirements and
translated into detailed design level requirements
- Redesigned software architecture to leverage
streamlined web technologies and practices
- System Level Requirements of CSU Bridge component
Network Operating Center (NOC) Admin / Systems Engineer 2002 Feb – 2003 Dec
Boeing Digital Cinema
automated digital media delivery over broadband satellite to a remote theater
system while enforcing digital rights management and providing performance
- Configured and maintained NOC network, server,
and storage equipment (cisco catalyst switches, 3com super stacks, windows
2000 demand dial, raid enclosures and storage area networks)
- Reverse engineer and maintain server images for
remote theater systems
- Field technician for remote server equipment, phone
tech support for theater operators
- Produced and documented standard media delivery
and maintenance procedures
- Designed relational data schema for NOC Database
- Designed and rebuilt an improved NOC to optimize
support of media distributions, content packaging and archiving
Boeing Satellite Systems /
Hughes Space and Communications
Transmission Systems Engineer (SPACEWAY) 2000
Jun – 2002 Jan
SPACEWAY system engineering
combined phased array antennas, beacon signal and ground weather data to
determine efficient link margins for distinct ground regions across continental
- Developed and optimized the algorithm for
allocating demodulators for a Spaceway satellite
- Designed a sub-coordinate grid system to
facilitate weather analysis on Spaceway
- Wrote weather simulation package to determine
attenuation caused by atmospheric interference
EDUCATION and INTEREST
80% Training Completed for PMP Certification
University of Southern California
Additional Database Graduate
- Fundamental and Advanced Databases (Relational
Modeling, Query processing, file storage, relational calculus)
- Multidimensional Databases (Spatial, timeseries, Wavelets,
Implemented JDBC connector for wireless lowpower sensor networks, “MOTES”)
- Oracle Relational Modeling
- ASP.net for Database Connectivity
University of Southern California
Bachelors of Science,
Computer Engineering and Computer Science (May 2001)